Sunday, April 13, 2008

Uthappam



It took me a while to get the perfect Idli recipe. Story of my life:-) It took me even longer before I realized that I can use the idli batter that I developed to make Dosa and even Uthappams.
Gee, that sounds like a software script being developed!



Today I am posting about Uthappams. Again, we never had this at home and I had no idea how to make these. We did love eating it in the restaurants. Even my husband was doubtful of the outcome of making it at home. I searched the net and came across many impersonal Uthappam recipes but none where I usually look and so was not very confident in give it a try. Now that I have made them I can’t think of an easier and interesting way to eat plain old Dosa.



One day it so happened that I had some idli batter leftover from last time. I knew all of us were rather bored of the same combo of idli, sambhar and chutney. So I decided to make a Dosa version. When I poured the batter I wanted to try Egg Dosai and so plopped open an egg on top. Didn’t know how to turn it properly and so abandoned that after one attempt. Then I added some ginger, onion and curry leaves and made uthappam just like Dosa. This came out decent but the next time I officially made uthappam I went with just onion, green chili and curry leaves which I think tastes the best for us. Some add all kinds of vegetables to the mix which makes it a healthy and complete item. I add tomatoes sometimes in which case they need to be diced fine. If not it won’t cook well in the time it takes the rest to get cooked.



Ingredients



Dosa/Idli batter – enough for 6-8 dosas (this tells you how you get the batter)
Onion – 1/2 chopped (shallots are good too)
Green chilis – 3 chopped
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Tomato – 1 small finely diced
Salt to taste



Method



Mix the ingredients including curry leaves with the batter. Set aside for a short time so the batter will imbibe the flavors of the additions. Heat a pan and pour the batter evenly. There is no need to spread it much further. Once one side is cooked, turn over and cook the other side. Uthappam is ready to be devoured with chutney or sambhar or both.

A friend at work says when her mom makes it, she covers the uthappam with a lid and so they don’t turn it over. In this case they pour the plain Dosa batter first and then spread the rest of the mix on top. The important things we discuss at work. Yeah! I haven’t tried this way since the turned over version itself found us in Uthappam heaven:-))




No comments: