Saturday, May 24, 2008

Potato Masala for Masala Dosa


We never used to make dosas at home growing up but later on due to popular demand I did master the art. I speak of the rice version in the footnote there as opposed to the 'cream of rice' version in the post. I have since discovered that the Dosa made with the 'rice' version is greatly preferred by my son the inhouse dosa critic. After taking a mouthful he pronounced "Hmm.. Mom this is almost as good as Amama's!" What more can I aspire for? The pics in this post are from the 'rice' version. Both versions can easily be used for idli and dosa depending on your time and 'work' tolerance.

The kids prefer plain dosa with sambhar and chutney on the side "just like at the dosa place" in my son's words meaning the Veggie Indian Restaurant we frequent. So the Masala version is just for my husband who adores it and is one contented person after a full course of home made Masala Dosas. I enjoy it too. I try to make the plain dosas into different shapes for the kiddos.

This one is for my Kannan


This one is for my Molu


Now to the Potato Masala. It is a no brainer, right? Boil some potatoes and do the seasoning and there you are. That is what I used to do too until HMom came on board. So this one is with all the little flavors she added to my original no-nonsense version. It is still easy as before, just a lot tastier.

In the Mix

potatoes - 2 large
tomato - 1 or 1/2 diced
ginger - 1/2" piece diced
green chili - 2 large sliced into thin circles
shallot - 1 or 2 sliced thin and long
lemon - 1/2 for squeezing
dry red chilies - 5 or six torn into small pieces
red chili flakes from the dry red chilies (crushed chili powder?) - 2 tsp
turmeric - 1/2 or 1/4 tsp depending on your color preference. I used 1/2 tsp in the pictures but I think somewhere b/n 1/2 and 1/4 tsp gives the right color.
olive oil - 2 tsp
raw rice - 1/2 tsp
urad dal - 1/2 tsp
salt to taste
curry leaves - 1 sprig or 2

How To Do

Start boiling the potatoes first.

Heat oil in a pan and break mustards. Add rice and urad dal and saute lightly taking care not to burn them. Add curry leaves and then add onion, ginger and green chilies and saute well.


Add torn dry red chili and mix well. Then add the crushed chili, turmeric and salt. Squeeze 4 or 5 drops of fresh lemon juice. Saute well and remove pan from heat if potato is not ready.


Peel the boiled potatoes and mash taking care to leave enough pieces for a good texture. Squeeze in a few drops of lemon and add salt. Mix gently together. Add to the seasoning and mix together. The potato masala is ready. Spoon as much as you want to the middle of the prepared dosa and fold together. Dip into sambhar and scoop up with chutney for a dosa fest of flavors in your mouth! Finish off with freshly prepared tea and now you just want to lie back and relax savoring the experience for a long time to come:-)


I folded in the plate for getting good pictures. It is best when the potato is spooned onto the dosa in the pan when done and folded there. Eat hot and crunchy for best results. I do this for weekend breakfasts or on weekday evenings.

3 comments:

mathew said...

hahaha..that dosa is quite innovative!! :)

Unknown said...

OMG - I'm SOOOOOO THERE!!!! That dosa looks AMAZING!!!! Can't wait to try it....
PS. BIG THANKS for the great pics and all your hard-work ---putting this lovely site together.

Unknown said...

OMG - I'm SOOOOOO THERE!!!! That dosa looks AMAZING!!!! Can't wait to try it....
PS. BIG THANKS for the great pics and all your hard-work ---putting this lovely site together.