Saturday, December 13, 2008

It's That Time of The Year Again! Fruitcake ( from Spicyana)

I had never liked fruitcakes much and this didn't change when I tasted the fruit loaded brick of a fruitcake here too. But you can never underestimate the power of memories. The tangy taste of the fruitcakes I had with the little goblet of wine at wedding receptions apparently stayed with me. The whole memory was reawakened and became a forceful nostalgic quest for more when one of my friend's Mom made it here on a US visit and gave me a quite generous portion to take home. By the time the quest became insufferable – my logical mind could not believe that I actually wanted to make and eat this cake – her Mom had already gone back. So in a moment of courage – I am a follow the instructions on the cake mix box and make a pound cake once in a while girl - I set out on my always fruitful food blog searches for a recipe. After going through many excellent recipes, decided to try spicyana's fruitcake. I had always been fascinated by all those baked cakes.
I stayed true to the recipe with due exceptions made for what I could find and what I assumed. The Indian store I went to for shajeera said it is the same as kala jeera and so that is what I used. I made the caramel a little early in the day and it kinda hardened by the time it was to be added and I heated it up in the microwave to liquefy again. This did not seem to have affected the taste much. It was quite a success and by the time a week came around the cake was barely there! Every time I took the cake out for basting with Rum it went back in a little less:-)
The recipe is pretty much the same as at spicyana's. For some reason, I am not able to link to the single recipe but to a whole page which contains it and you will need to scroll down a bit to Dec 13 to find the recipe. I am reproducing it here with how I went about it so it is easier for me the next time. This is the second year I made it and intend to make it a regular feature of our X-mas activities. Family and friends who have tasted it love it and I myself have heavily fallen for it. Must be all that rum:-)
Dry Fruits
golden raisins - ¾ cup
black raisins - ¾ cup
dried apricots – 12 chopped
dried tart cherries - ¼ cup
orange juice (no pulp) – 1 cup
nutmeg powder – ¼ tsp
cloves – 3
honey – 2 tsp
rum – 4 tbsp (I used Bacardi Select original premium crafted rum. I am sure any rum is fine but being completely lost in that aisle, wanted to note what I finally picked)
grated orange rind – 2 tsp
Warm the orange juice, add all the dried fruits and the other ingredients together and keep for 2-3 days in an air tight container.
Caramel
sugar – 1 cup
water – 5 tbsp
butter - ½ tsp
Take 1 cup sugar in a pan and add 1 tbsp water to it. Heat till you see a color change and stir continuously from this point. Keep on stirring till all the sugar melts into a nice golden brown. Add butter and stir. Add the remaining water. Take care to add the water very slowly so it won't splash up onto you. The solution will bubble up and all that but don't worry and keep on stirring and remove from heat to cool. Try to make the cake before the caramel hardens, but if it does, then carefully microwave it or melt again.
In The Cake Mix
all purpose flour – 2 ¾ cup
baking powder – 2 tsp
confectioner's sugar – 1 cup
butter – 1 cup
eggs – 5
cinnamon – a pinch
ground kala jeera (shajeera?) - ¾ tsp
vanilla essence – 1 tsp
soaked fruits and caramel from above
Did not use 1/4 cup chopped flour coated cashew nuts as we don't prefer it in the cakes but add if you do.
How To Do
Preheat oven to 300F.
This will make two round shallow pans of cake.
Grease the cake pans with butter or shortening. I do this by keeping the pan with the butter in the oven while heating up, then taking it out and spreading the melted butter around. Did not use parchment paper and did not flour the pans. Just lazy!
Sift the flour with baking powder and all the spice powders.
Melt the butter and add sugar. Beat with an electric hand mixer for a minute.
Beat the eggs and add to the butter-sugar mix. Add vanilla essence and caramel. Beat for 4 minutes.
Add the prepared flour now little by little and mix well with a whisk.
Add soaked fruits and whisk it in or stir in with a spoon.
Pour into pans and place it in the preheated oven for 60 minutes.
Since these pans are shallow, they don't need more than 60 minutes, but a deeper pan needed about 1 hr and 15 minutes.
Cake is done when a fork inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool for 15 minutes and unmold.
Bast with rum all around and cover in foil.
Repeat rum basting once a day for as many days as you are patient up to a week.
Not sure how long it will keep as every time it gets over within a week. I have mailed them across the US and reports indicate they were in perfect shape to be enjoyed on reception.
I can't believe I am making these cakes with gusto and would like to thank spicyana's winner of a recipe for making it possible.

11 comments:

Reflections said...

Wowwwwww!!!!!!!!! It looks wonderful & sounds yummy. Ok, its decided...I'm making one of these.

now getting down to business...
I've already cut all my dried fruits but havent added dried apricots tho I can.
Now how much rum for how much fruits???
And orange juice..is it like fresh orange juice made at home or can I use fresh bottled juice from the supermarket????
And whts rum basting?????

As of now I'm copying & pasting the recipe to study in detail...so will be back with more questions:-D

ras said...

ee rum evdenna vangunne..?? kurachu matheeello.. appo..??
good buddy...

Shah cooks said...

hmm.this cake is a real winner.i amde it a couple of times last year.

lan said...

nancy
how are things progressing? hang in there. the first time i tried it i also printed the whole thing out and studied it:-) you will love the activity and results esp at this time of the year. 4 tbsp rum is needed for the given amount of fruits. any orange juice should do i believe. fresh will always have its benefit. rum basting just means spread rum over the cake with a brush. it could be a preserver or to keep the cake moist longer. i found it a fun activity and the original author says it is not a must. good luck and you will find that it was all worth it:-)

ras
rum is available in any grocery store. it will be in the same aisle as the wines. any brand and any type will do. i am keeping track to see which one brings out the best flavor. can i expect to see a picture over at your site?

mallugirl
yes, to my surprise it is a winner and a keeper. when i told my brother that i have mailed him a box he was totally happy!

Reflections said...

I just finished making the cake:-)).

I had a few problems making it actually. Mainly the sugar syrup...the syrup just thickened & became toffeee. I warmed it...& poured it into the mixture. It just thickened & became toffee again as soon as it touched the cool mixture:-(. Then I made suagr syrup all over again, this time my mom's way[she adds more water].
Then put my hand into the mixture to remove the brittle toffee[sugar syrup] & painstakingly took them out 1 by 1. Then did everything else ok.
The cake looks good. Will taste & tell u how it is:-D.
And will do the rum basting also.

p.s - I added more than 4tbs of rum..4tbs looked very less...so:-D

Srikitchen said...

looks delicious!
first time to ur blog and it is very nice!
do visit my blog when u find time!
join in the savories event going in my blog!

Reflections said...

Came to tell u that the cake tastes fantastic but colour is light brown....the fault of my sugar syrup ofcourse;-P

lan said...

srilekha
thanks for visiting and the comment. you have a nice blog too.

nancy
it grows on you! i like all the activity to make it since it is x-mas time. glad you liked it. it is a good personalized gift too.

Srikitchen said...

wow! looks scrumptious and inviting!

Anonymous said...

Can I get on the mailing list for this cake?
It sounds great and as one who has wanted a perfect fruit cake recipe I just have to stop thinking about it and actually try it.

lan said...

whoever tried it at the original author's said it came out well. this is why i thought to give it a try and was surprised at myself when it turned out pretty well. once you make it you will feel a certain baking confidence in yourself. so don't hesitate and give it a go..