Sunday, March 8, 2009

Another Kind of Thoran - A Beans Coconut Combo



Thought I had got it with this 'thoran' thing since the results were satisfactory. Looked like I had done pretty much what I could do here. Not sure why it never occurred me to ask my Mom. Maybe because I couldn't take it if I made it 'exaaactly' like Mom and didn't get the effect from memories. So anyway, it did come up in a conversation and Mom chuckled to herself when her previously veggie hating - make that kitchen phobic - daughter dutifully asked for this simplest of recipes. I couldn't help chuckling with her, remembering my own younger self in those carefree days. Memories... Memories....., what will I do with them? What will I do without them? I followed her instructions to the letter and I have to say that I absolutely loved the results. This could be because it looked, smelled and tasted 'exaaactly' like the 'payar thoran' of old. Well except of course for the central characters - the beans themselves - who just couldn't be fresh picked from the ginger fields. But I had taken that into account and had already adjusted the memory comparator input accordingly:-) So here follows my Mom's own original, special 'thoran' recipe.The secret is in the sequence. So pay attention to every word. K?

In The Mix

beans - 1/2 lbs (about 1 kg)
coconut flakes - 1/2 cup (hydrate with water prior to use to resemble the fresh grated feel. i hear that there is a vietnamese store around which sells fresh grated coconut. haven't had time to check that out yet)
turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
shallots - 2 or 3
green indian chilies - 4 to 5
salt to taste
curry leaves - a sprig or two

How To Do

Slightly grind coconut, turmeric, shallots and green chilies together. The results should be a largely coarse mix.

Take the beans in a cooking pot. Add salt and curry leaves. Cook covered on high heat for 5-6 minutes at the most.

Now add the ground mix to the top. Do not stir.


Cover and cook some more till all the water is gone.

Remove from heat and stir. Voila!

6 comments:

Reflections said...

"it looked, smelled and tasted 'exaaactly' like the 'payar thoran' of old."

I too get ridiculously excited when it smells close to the original:-D

Payar plucked from the plant & straight away cooked is in different category altogether:-)

Almost the same ingredients...except we do a kadu varakal paruvaadi at the end & oh yes add a pinch of crushed cumin seeds to the mixture.

And how can I forget...the payar is cut into tiny pieces.....for tht reason alone it is bot only maybe once a month;-P

lan said...

i know you are much more evolved with your thoran nance. i am catching up:-)crushed cumin seeds are new and worth trying on my next attempt...

Anonymous said...

Love this easy recipe...easy because of your clear and concise directions.
Adding it to the Kerala repertoire of dishes...am getting quite a collection from you and Shaheen...can't wait for my friend to visit so I can surprise her.
Have progressed from one dish to a dozen!

lan said...

thanks geets! the besan laddu is on its way. been rather busy but i am planning to tackle rawa laddu soon too.

Salomie said...

My mom's recipe is a bit different (possibly some Bombay influence involved). The mix for thoran & pulishery is grated coconut, green chilli, 3-4 garlic cloves, turmeric powder & cumin powder all ground together.

Then in hot oil, we crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves; add onion and saute it a bit; then the vegetable and last the coconut mixture.

Btw, why do you not mix in the coconut while cooking? I'd seen this on tv too once & I wanted to know what the difference is between mixing everything & leaving it as is.

lan said...

mothers come up with their own tried and trusted recipes i guess. nothing bests a treasured taste from one's childhood:-)nancy also mentioned cumin. i am not sure why the coconut is not mixed. when my mom related the recipe this is what i noticed as really different from what i've been doing. i'll ask her. it could be because if we stir it after wards the flavors are experienced better? BTW, congratulations on the good news!