Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mango Delight - A Mango 'Thira' Preparation



This is a delicacy of my childhood made from dried ripe mango sheets that I wasn't too keen on. Yet age and distance had the power to make it such and I was happy when my Mom remembered to bring some this time around on her visit. Yes, my 83 year old Mom is visiting. Yay! Age has made her fragile yet have mercifully kept her healthy in every way that I thank God for this. At this moment in my life with my Mom here I feel like I am home. Looking into her sweet gentle face I see my childhood come full circle.

I didn't ask for anything from home as most of the things are available here yet my Mom instinctively brought the things I had craved the most and had given up on. The ''Thira' used to be made from Mailappoo' mangoes that fell plentiful in our lower farm land where the much beloved tree stood laden with fruits. Mangoes will fall all the time but some windless days in the afternoons they stayed put. I used to sit on the large stone steps leading down to the tree waiting for the telltale movement of the leaves and the all familiar sound of mangoes touching base. There was even a song for the wind to come so mangoes can fall. Mailappoo was just one variety in the land but it was special because of its ease of access for us kids and the sheer number of fruits making for an easy snack whenever. 'Moovandan', 'Komanga', 'Nadan', 'Neelam', and the list goes on. In the front yard there was a large mango tree that was treated special and was my Grandfather's favorite. The fruits from it could only be eaten if we picked it at the right time and made to ripe in the house. The taste once it ripened was out of this world and if there was only one ripe mango on a day it went Grandpa of course. I use to check them out surreptitiously and knew ahead of time if we will get a mouthful of the delicious slices or not. Mom informs that the tree had to be cut down last year or so as it had grown too old and dead branches were falling onto the roof. It must have been a bud grafted tree because Mom had planted many of its seeds, but none of the fruits came close to the original in taste.

There is something about seeing a mango tree break into flowers in anticipation of the rich harvest ahead. There is a smell in the air and the mango season almost always coincided with long 'mid summer vacations'. My older sister the botanist loved eating ripe mangoes sliced and mixed with dried red chili powder, onion and salt. 'Mailappoo' fruits were especially suited for this. She would prepare and I would eat. Later in undergrad years my best friend and I would beg/pilfer raw mangoes from our hostel kitchen and bring to the room to mix with previously stashed salt and chili powder. We have spent many such afternoons getting 'high' on the mangoes. Mangoes are so intertwined with one's life in India that they have a special place in the heart and tummy for many people. Look here for some good mango memories.

Coming to the point, I mean recipe, there is not much to add. You have to have some 'Thira' made from mangoes to begin with. This is made usually in an abundant mango season when there are too many mangoes even after the whole neighborhood had their fill and it just does not feel right to throw them away. A new sheet or 'paya' is spread out and the ripe mangoes are squeezed and rubbed onto it and set out in the sun to dry. The process is repeated everyday for as long as mangoes keep coming. Other matching fruits can be added to enhance the flavor. Once done the resulting sheet or 'Thira' is cut and stored in a cool dry place. This will keep for a long time and longer still with refrigeration. Mom said this set she brought was made from a daughter tree of the original Mailapoo since that one had long gone. Following measurements are approximate so proceed at your own risk:-)

In The Mix

Mango 'Thira' - a 8"x8" piece cut into small pieces
Fresh grated coconut - from 1/2 a shell
jaggery or brown sugar - to taste

How To Do

Put all together in a pan on low heat. Mix for a few minutes till all blend well together. Remove from heat and enjoy!

A good friend got me some fresh grated coconut from a Vietnamese store near her place but I think dried coconut can be used instead after hydrating beforehand. Dried mango might be available in Asian stores though not the same as the home made variety mentioned here. The snack was a delicious treat to nostalgic taste buds. Look below for a snap of the 'Thira' in its original form.




Note added on August 16, 2009
My Mom specifies that the other ingredients in her Thira include rice flour with a little jaggery mashed up with some jackfruit (the soft version) along with the ripe mango pulp to keep it sturdy and flavorful. This could explain the darker color that mishmash was wondering about.

6 comments:

Geeta Kakade said...

This made me so nostalgic for India and the mango season there.
The memories of sitting on the mango tree eating green mango with salt and chilli powder is 'ripe'.
It was so interesting to read such a unique recipe...wished you lived closer and I could taste this.

lan said...

geeta, this is you. right?
mangoes and nostalgia always go hand in hand. don't they?

Mishmash ! said...

Am so thrilled to see this article and finally a pic of mangathira !!

two yrs back i read about it...also saw a pic of it...lil different from this one...sort of orangish yellow it was....and understood that it was some delicacy....and last year i checked with a friend from kottayam and she told me now its available in bakeries.....so now waiting for the next vacation ;)

anyway, am so happy to read ur post and see a dish made with manga thira.....:) Thanks a ton for this article!!

enjoy the time with ur mom :)

lan said...

mishmash, thanks for coming by and the nice comment. i asked my mom specifically about the colour and she enlightened me that she also adds rice flour mixed with little jaggery as well as gravied soft jackfruit if available along with the mango pulp. so this could be why the color is so
and is the color that i am used to. i have added this info in.

Belize spiceman said...

I am getting ready to make Mango Thira in Beize. Information you have provided is so valuable. we have a ton of Mango ,Thira may be a way to save them from going waste.

Unknown said...

Really so happy to see such a wonderful recipe which took me back to my childhood. It is really sooo yummy and since I am so much interested in traditional foods, I made some thira with the available mangoes with me. Even though it cannot replace the taste of mango thira by my granny, I enjoyed making and eating it with my family.