Wednesday, August 12, 2009

KaLLappam - Traditional Appam with Toddy (7-UP)


What I remember when I hear "KaLLappam" is the sizzle from the pan as the batter hits it. Unlike regular breakfast items KaLLappam was made in the evening. That is, one evening in particular which is the day before the feast of St. George (Gevarghese in the vernacular) . The very finest (creme' la creme') appams made from the top of the batter were set aside to be sent to the nearby famous church holding the Saint's name. It used to be, this stack contained 21 appams plus one for each of the animals of the farm since St.George is the protector of all animals as well as offers protection from the not so nice ones. These saintly appams also had the most perfect shape.

The best combo is with fresh chicken and potato curry. It is good on its own too. I enjoy them with honey. But then I enjoy anything with honey.


Speaking of honey, Mom used to have these wooden boxes supported on single stocky posts placed here and there. Honey bees setup their homes in these boxes on their own and through forced settlement. The box was shaped like a house and inside it had rows and rows wooden rectangular frames that the bees filled with honey combs. Pure white, fluffy combs filled with golden honey .....Yumm...... The vast yard lined with mango trees and flower plants spilling over from our garden on the west side of the house had many such homes. I was a little afraid of the bees in the beginning but curiosity got the better of me and gradually I was a regular visitor. I discovered that if I pretty much stand still in a strategic place then they won't worry about me and I can happily observe the goings on at the tiny entrance to their home. It was interesting to identify the ones who came back with a stash of honey drunk pollen on their backs. In the heat of summer we set small bowls of water next to the entrance so they'll have some relief. We also had to put pesticide around the post to keep bugs and insects away from their neat homes.

There were locals with expertise in these things. They knew how to separate out a queen so another hive can develop around her. It was mostly during the mango/cashew season that wild bees setup their homes on the land, I mean on trees. Once the queen was found, her wings were cut so she will stay and keep the hive with her. This little lady had such powers! I remember when I first set eyes on a queen bee. They are darker and a little bigger than your average worker bee. In all my years with them I never got stung except when finally I poked a finger into their home just to have that experience:-) My son on the other hand got stung by a bee on his bare feet while playing on the grass at the Y. It is an event that he speaks of with much remembrance.


Oh My! I should never talk about the good old days I guess. Keeps me going like the energizer bunny. Let us move on. KaLLappam got its name from the rising agent used in it which is a natural form of local liquor ("kaLLu" or toddy) harvested from coconut/palm trees. This obviously is in short supply here and my sister-in-law is owed credit for disclosing to me how 7 UP can be used as a pretty good sub. I also add some yeast for good measure. If you have the real toddy then that is all we need for the batter to rise. We made it after a long time since Mom and I had a craving for it.

In The Mix

rice flour - 4 cups
finely shredded coconut - 3 cups
yeast - 1/2 tsp (I use Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast which can be mixed as is)
sugar - 2 tbsp (optional)
7-UP - 3 cups
cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
salt & water - as needed

How To Do

Mix flour and coconut powder with all the other ingredients. Add water only for the sake of consistency. The batter should be thick set and not runny but should be so it can be ladled with ease. Because the coconut is added in the shredded form the batter will be thick to begin with so care must be taken if water is needed. Set aside in warm oven at least 5 hours or till the batter starts to rise. It is very critical that you start making the appams as soon as it rises for the appams to stay soft long term.



Slowly pour the batter on to a medium heated pan. Slighly flatten to round out the shape only if needed.

The appams are sized like pancakes and can be made in groups of 4 or more in a 12" pan. Turn them over once. A minute or 2 on each side should do.












If we made KaLLappams in the evening that meant it it served for breakfast next day too. A break from early morning breakfast preparations before going for the Sunday Mass. Me, I am OK with them any time of the day! These will keep for as long as a week in the fridge and is a filling evening snack.


Note: Bee pics from our backyard added on August 19, 2009.

11 comments:

Mishmash ! said...

7up for toddy!!! really? i must try it soon then....

once again thx for that article on manga thira..:)

lan said...

yes, it is a pretty good substitute. do try it. thanks for elevating my little post an article:-) please keep posting on your superb site.

Reflections said...

7up huh....coooool

other than the 7up & cumin pwdr mine is somewht the same except tht I try out the kapppi business once in while;-/

We usually make the lace appam with the same:-))

Reflections said...

And tht bees colony is really a sight to see.

My grandmom used to keep them too but in large pots hung in different corners of the house:-))
Ooooh tht honey was sooooo yummy!!!!

lan said...

look who is back! welcome back nance.
yes, 7 UP. somehow I thought this was old knowledge among the expatriate Kerala communities since my sis-in-law so easily clued me into it.. a honey fan is the best kind of person:-) i'm planning on uploading some honey pics from my backyard here soon.

Varsha Vipins said...

Ian..Thanks for the comment,I could come here..nice place..:)..n I was eagerly reading your cute honey bee stories..truly amazing..:)..Pls share more lovely stuffs like these..:)
..n the appam with 7UP is a new news..looks great..Thanks for sharing with us..:)

lan said...

varsha, thanks for coming again and the nice comments. hope u like the bees i just uploaded:-)

Geeta said...

What an original idea to use 7up for toddy like results!
More power to the amazing expats who come up with the greatest things.
As for the stories about the bees, thanks for sharing the nicest stories.

lan said...

geeta, good to see you back. waiting for the next one over there.

naperville mom said...

oh this looks so yummy...thanks, have to get some 7up soon!:)

lan said...

nmom, hope u will like it. when r u coming out of hiding?