Saturday, April 13, 2013

Slow Cooker Pot Roast!



The kids are getting antsy with Indian cooking. So long as it contains red fish curry, papadam and yogurt I don't hear many complaints. But the moment I veer off to a little more of the curried versions, the battle erupts. They do like it but not too much apparently. How can a cook take pleasure when her customers are not happy? I try not to listen too much as the wheel of life has to continue uninterrupted but do try some stuff that I feel is a good match. The recipe for pot roast was found on the package for a slow-cooker sauce. I was led to it by the mother of one of my daughter's friends when I asked her for culinary advice on easy dinners. It is easy enough and both kids and Dad loved it. I am thinking of branching out and finding an Indian sauce solution to the pot roast. Here is the recipe which comes on the package of  'savory pot roast sauce powder' found in grocery stores anywhere. You need a slow-cooker (crock-pot, 4 qrtz. or more) to enjoy the full convenience of it.

In The Mix

Crock-Pot Savory Pot Roast Seasoning Mix - 1 package
Shallots - 3 peeled and halved
Small red potatoes - 3 cups washed and drained - no cutting needed
baby carrots - 2 cups


How To Do

This is the best part! Since it can be done in 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low you have the choice of when to have it. I put it all together the morning and it was ready when I got back. There are many sites that gives out slow-cooker recipes. I prefer the ones that do not require any extra steps like searing or sautéing before adding to the slow-cooker.

Wash and drain the meat and add to the slow cooker. Mix the packaged powder with 1 cup of water and add to the pot. Add the potatoes, shallots and carrots. Close the lid, turn on to the desired heat and go have fun. Come back to a dinner ready house! I have finally found what I need. Slow cooker, here I come! I think a masala sauce mix would work just as well for Indian palettes. Will let you know once I find a good solution but it shouldn't be rocket science.


5 comments:

lan said...

Nance, I wanted to do the chicken noodle soup as you were wondering abt it. Unfortunately the batch I made got finished again before I thought to click and I did get a snap on this guy. Will post CNS soon as I make it..

soulsearchingdays said...

hi, good to see you back. This looks absolutely tasty !! by the way a very Happy New Year to you

lan said...

dear ss : good to see you. It is yummy with no effort. my kind of dish:-) happy new year to you too!

Reflections said...

@comment: That's okay Lan, put it up the next time u make it;-D.

@recipe: sounds easy-peasy but I doubt tht mix is available here and not only tht I have no clue abt this slow cooker business.

And do u team this with french bread and steamed vegetables or...?

lan said...

nance CNS is coming soon. got pictures this time.
slow cooker is an electric pot where we can leave food to be cooked slow. people throw things together that will hold well over time and come back in the evening or after a certain time to ready to eat food. dal is a good indian dish for slow cooker. yes u can eat this dish with french bread. no need to steam veggies if you already added some veggies into the cooker.