Friday, January 25, 2008

Chicken Curry – From Shaheen of malluspice



I have tried some meat recipes from shaheen’s malluspice. Everything came out tasty and exact. I usually use our homemade ‘garam masala’ for all my meat dishes and so it was rather strange not to do it with this one. I was surprised to see how tasty the dish was without it!


I should say that I am very fortunate to have the most fragrant and complete garam masala that my mother-in-law herself made and gave to us. This is the real secret of most of the curries I make. I am not sure what spices she adds in to the usual cardamom, cloves and cinnamon but the resulting fragrance is one to die for in cooking! I will check with her and post it later on. She individually fried each ingredient and powdered them together. I consider it more an act of love of my mother-in-law for my husband and I for the amount of concentration and effort it took to make it. She used to cook very well but being plagued with all kinds of ailments has pretty much retired from cooking these days. Still anything she puts her hand to always come out well. The same dish can be made with different tastes when she deals with it. Most of the time I think my curries all look and taste the same… This is the difference between real talent and acquired talent.


The chicken curry recipe follows that in malluspice almost faithfully. But instead of using a paste I chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies together in the chopper. Also sautéd the tomatoes and onions before adding chicken. The yummy gravy with no coconut milk at all has made my beef loving husband to actually look forward to this chicken preparation.

3 comments:

Shah cooks said...

does ur m-i-law make the roasted coconut (vautharacha) podi?u could add that to this curry to change the taste. my sis gets her coconut masala from her mil and the same curry tastes amazing when she makes it.thanks for trying it out!!

lan said...

thanks mallugirl!
as my first ever commenter you have become part of history:-) i haven't heard of varutharacha podi unless it is chammanthi podi.
i'll check with MIL as she will be visiting us soon.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.