Thursday, January 17, 2008

Paalappam




Today’s recipe is that perennial item which so easily frustrates and delights Malayalee households no matter where. I distinctly remember the pleasure in my Mom’s face when the appam turns out well in the pan. i.e, The batter should give out bubbles to make a healthy number of holes when poured into the sizzling pan and should end up with a thin and fluffy texture. How many of those have I lifted out as soon as it comes off the pan straight to my mouth laced with sugar. Ours was a large household and the amount of appams Mom had to make were enough to get anyone frustrated when the product does not come out as expected. But of course she had more successes than failures and so it was a happy household.


My Mom used to make flat appams mostly, with the more common laced ‘Paalappam’ reserved for special occasions only. The flat appam can be made from the same batter although coconut milk is not used in it. Just water will do. After my marriage I realized that my husband had not heard of the flat appams at all and so what I put my heart into making is the ‘Paalappam’.


I also went on several journeys before settling in on a recipe that is bound to come out right almost all the time. One trick I learned from a friend’s Mom is if you make the appam as soon as it bubbles up, then the appam will come out looking good. If not, the batter might flatten up and the appam won’t turn out that well. But not to worry, the powers of appam are such that it can satisfy and please the palate just by being present. The addition of baking powder will fluff it up somewhat regardless of when you make it. Another tip is if you need to add water to the batter after it’s been set, it is better to add it in the form of warm milk.



Ingredients


Long Grain rice – 3 cups (Mahatma brand is good)

Coconut Milk – 1 can (400mL)

Fleischmann’s Rapid Rise Yeast – 1 packet (used as is without dissolving in water)

Sugar & salt – to taste

Cooked Rice – 2 heaped tbsp

Baking soda – 1/4 tsp


Method


Soak the rice in hot water for 6 hours or more. I normally do this overnight. Wash the soaked rice again in warm water when ready to grind. This will help with fermentation in cold places according to my husband’s Aunt. Add to the blender and grind well with coconut milk, yeast, cooked rice and 4-5 spoons of sugar. I use the mixer/blender available in regular stores and have found that 4 minutes of grinding does the job well.


Remember not to add any salt at this stage. Check the mixture for consistency and if it is more watery then add regular rice flour and mix well. This addition of 2 or 3 heaped tbsp of regular rice flour helps to make the appam more porous too. But do this only if needed for proper consistency. If you don’t want to use as much coconut milk, then mix half can of coconut milk (200mL) with 2 cups of water or regular milk instead. This does not take away the taste and makes the appam lighter to eat. Set overnight in a warm place for 5-6 hours for the batter to ferment. Oven with the lights on is a logical place.


Add baking soda, salt and more sugar if needed and blend well. The batter should be fluffy and brimming. Heat the appachatti to medium heat. Pour the batter and gently turn the chatti around to form a lace of batter on the sides with the rest settling down into the middle. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. The lace will brown more if you add more sugar.


































It used to be a wrestle to get the appam off of the chatti. That itself was enough to get me off the appam bandwagon. But ever since my concerned mother-in-law sent us 2 non-stick chattis from India 8-9 years ago we have been very happy. I have 2 brands and find I rather like the NIRLEP brand best which cooks fast and the appam is better textured with the same batter being used in both chattis. Just like us kids I find that both my son and daughter take well to the appam and so it has acquired more of a permanent status in our household. I make it for dinner if on weekdays and for brunch if on weekends. Enjoy with Stew or Fish Moli.!



Book Corner


4 comments:

MR said...

lovely snaps!!
making my mouth water.
very nice blog title!!

Anonymous said...

i had tried several versions of vellayappam,, atlast urs turned out good.. thanks,,,

yes me too luvded ur blog title..

lan said...

hi anon & mr

thanks for visiting and the comments.

anon, thanks also trying out and letting me know. that is just great!

ras said...

nannyitto.. shariyayi.. thakseeee...

Anon aanneee..:-))