Sunday, February 24, 2008

Egg Curry Recipe -The Real McCoy!


When I was at home one thing I hated eating was rice. I wondered why people would want to eat rice when they can have breakfast all the time. Why would someone want to go to the trouble of making rice and curries when at the same time they could just make puttu or idli or idiappam. I used to throw away the rice curries in my lunchbox almost on a regular basis since I couldn't tolerate the smell when I opened it at lunchtime. Such ignorant and heartless was I of the toils of the kitchen!! There came a time when some of my classmates started being afraid for my health and complained to our classteacher about the fate of my lunch. Bless their hearts, little did they know how heartily I ate breakfast and gobbled up tapicoa and the likes up to the nose in the evenings and therefore had nothing to fear for:-) Anyway the teacher asked to see my lunchbox before I could take it to wash and the only way I could satisfactorily get out of the dilemma was by bringing breakfast items for lunch which I had no problems with at all. My Mom was surprised at first to see a docile rice eating me once I got here. It is true that we take many things for granted. Don't we? But even at the time there was one combo that I could not resist regardless that it came with rice in our home. Nice seasoned buttermilk and my Mom's egg curry. So this curry was the one I put my whole heart into learning while declaring to my Mom that I doubt if I'll ever make any other curry in my life. I have made this egg curry many times here which was always well liked by friends and foes alike. It must be the love!!


In The Mix:
Eggs – 6 to 8 (boiled, shelled & halved)
Onion – 1 big onion sliced lengthwise - Keep a few slices aside for seasoning. (5-6 shallots are best instead of the onion but then that is too much trouble.)

Coriander powder – 5 tbsp
Chili powder – 2 tsp or more or less depending on your heat tolerance
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Mustard – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves – 1-2 sprigs
Coconut milk – 1 can (dilute 2/3 can with 1 ½ cups to 2 cups water)


How To Do:
1. Heat oil in a pan, add onion and salt to taste. Sauté till onion turns brown and slightly crisp. Remove from pan.
2. Break mustard in remaining oil, add the set aside fresh onion, curry leaves and sauté.
3. Make a mix of the 3 powders with water and add to the pan.
4. Roast in low heat till aroma fills the air and the gravy begins to roll into soft balls. Keep stirring so it won't stick to the pan.

5. Add the diluted coconut milk and stir well. Add salt if needed.
6. Add eggs and the sautéed onions from step 1.
7. Boil all together once. Then cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes or more depending on the desired gravy thickness.

8. Add remaining 1/3rd can coconut milk. Stir gently once so it blends and remove from heat.
9. Enjoy!


Note1. Coconut milk can be substituted with warm milk for a lighter curry.
Note2:
Cubed potatoes can be added at step 7 if you are in the mood for a more wholesome curry. Just increase the cooking time accordingly. I did this for the curry in the picture.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

I was in the same shoes when I was a kid. I HATED rice. I was more of a chappati, dosa, bread, idiappam, appams, puttu, etc person. Now, if I don't eat rice for lunch, I feel like I haven't had lunch...

The egg curry looks good...will give it a try.

lan said...

thanks comfort food!
great minds think alike:-)
the egg curry is really tasty and does not need much preparation. roasting the curry powders well is the secret. hope you will like it.

Shah cooks said...

ah!! i tooo used to hate rice and curry for lunch..never one for the social customs.. i can eat breakfast items like idiappam and puttu for any meal even now!nice egg curry.

lan said...

a girl after my own heart mallugirl!
breakfast is all i also need to survive:-)