Saturday, February 2, 2008

Moru Kachiyathu – Seasoned Buttermilk



My most favorite accompaniment of all times for rice, I used to tell my Mom that this is probably the one of the ones I will actually want to know how to make. So despite being kitchenphobic I was her ready helper when it came to preparing this. Mostly the seasoning part. Yet, it took years to get to master the real tricky part and that too after several mishaps. One reason it took so long was that it is not a favorite of my husband and I like making something that both of us will enjoy. But once the craving took hold of me I had to get it down before being able to let go

In The Mix

Yogurt - 1 container
Water – 1 cup
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Curry Leaves – a sprig or 2
Shallots – 4 or 5 diced into large pieces
Shallots – ¼ thinly sliced.
Dry coconut powder – 2 tbsp
Green chilies – 2 or 3 – can substitute with dry red chili for a different color
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste


Mix shallots, turmeric, green chilies and coconut powder in a little water and pour into a blender. Blend the yogurt with salt and water, add to the above and mix for 1-2 minutes.

Check salt. Add fresh curry leaves to the mix and set aside.

Heat oil in a pan and break mustards. Add curry leaves and thinly sliced onions and sauté.
Add the blended mix to this and stir on medium to low heat. From now on we have to be very careful. If you turn our head for a moment, I won’t be responsible for the disastrous results Needs constant stirring so the mix won’t separate which spoils the texture and taste altogether.. After stirring 3-4 minutes or to your satisfaction remove from heat and keep on stirring till it cools. Best enjoyed together with Rice, Red Fish Curry and Beans Thoran. Can also be had as a drink if you are crazy about it like me! Is very close to ‘Sambharam’ the good old buttermilk drink of hospitality that all visitors and passers by can expect from homes on hot summer days.



Book Corner

No comments: