Saturday, July 19, 2008

Fish Fry & Fresh Caught Trout



You don't always have to go fishing like my brother to eat fresh caught fish. But you need good neighbors who do and graciously share their bounty. This is how we came to get a foot and half long fresh trout the other day. Since my son complained that we haven't been making fried fish - his favorite form of fish - I decided to do just that. Fried fish will always turn out to be tasty if you follow a few simple rules regardless of what is in the marinade.

1. Never freeze fish after you buy it. If you have to then always thaw in the fridge.
2. Add enough salt to the marinade. This is usually a little more than your usual salt to taste.
3. Marinate overnight in the fridge after scoring the pieces well.
4. Fry to crisp.

In The Mix

Fish cut into pieces and scored with a sharp knife on both sides- I had about 8-9 pieces from the trout
oil - 1 1/2 cups or enough to cover half of the fish pieces

For Marinade

fish masala powder - 1 tbsp (any brand will be fine)
chili powder - 1 tsp
kashmiri chili powder - 1 tbsp
powder mix of equal amounts of cinnamon, cloves, cardamom - 1/4 tsp
shallots - 1 chopped
vinegar - 2 or 3 tbsp
salt to taste

How To Do

Mix the marinade items together and marinate the fish overnight in the fridge. The cinnamon, cloves, cardamom powder is optional. If you don't have it, just add 1/2 tsp of coriander powder. Heat oil in a flat bottomed pan in high heat. Put the fish pieces in and lower the heat to between medium and high. After 3-4 minutes turn over to the other side. Again after 3-4 minutes remove from oil and drain on paper towels. You can leave the fish till your desired crispiness is achieved. This can be done by waiting long enough or by sprinkling some salt water on both sides right before you remove from the oil. The latter is a tip from my husband that I was quite amazed to see work well.

Enjoy with plain rice, yogurt and papadam or enjoy on its own fresh off the fire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Lan:

Fresh trout indeed!
Why can't I have a neighbor that goes fishing?
Thanks for sharing the tip re. the salt water sprinkling...can't wait to try it on my frozen fish. (Sigh!)
Just kidding.

Reflections said...

Fish fry is a favourite in our place also. Ur ingredients are actually new to me, and this fish masala pwdr..which brand r u using?

Actually I've never used FM pwdr & GM pwdr in my fish fry till today. I'm actually wondering whether I've been doing it wrong all these yrs;-P.

I dont knw abt the FM pwdr but I'm def going add GM pwdr & vinegar & make.
And the tip is also very useful...thanks.

lan said...

geeta
you can start by cozying up to them and extolling the virtues of fishing:-))

nancy
the masala powder i have right now is shan. any brand will do. the marinade really does not matter if you follow my 4 tips:-) but even just coriander will add a yummy flavor to the taste. u can use lemon juice instead of vinegar too.