Saturday, July 26, 2008

Chicken Masala - from Live To Eat


When I have a chicken urge I take refuge in Malluspice's pages and had always been a satisfied customer. Armed with this confidence I tried out a chicken recipe from another blog - Live To Eat. The recipe was a little different from what I am used to and reminded me of a pork vindaloo recipe that we have tried sometimes. It came out very well with nicely blended flavors in an appealing color and goes totally with any kind of carb you have at home!!. I can see this will be a keeper. I am repeating the recipe here for my own reference. I scaled the measures up to go with the quantity I had.

In The Mix
chicken : 3 lbs cut into pieces
red onion - 2 chopped
tomatoes - 2 diced
cloves - 12
cardamom pods - 6
cinnammon stick - 3" thin stick broken to pieces
curry leaves - 1 sprig or 2
salt to taste
oil - 3 to 4 tbsp
water - 3 to 4 cups
To Grind: dry red chilies - 22
garlic pods - 12
ginger - 4" piece
mustard seeds - 2 tsp

How To Do

Grind the 'to grind' ingredients in a blender with little water. I was hesitant about using so much chili but the result was wonderful. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan to brown the onions and set aside. Heat 2 tbsp in the same pan, add cloves, cardamom and cinnamon and saute. After a minute add the ground mix and slow roast till oil separates. Add chopped tomatoes and stir till tomatoes are cooked. I added salt at this stage.

Add cut chicken pieces and mix well so the pieces are coated. Fry to brown. Now add onions and curry leaves and stir for another minute. Add 3 cups of hot water to the pan, mix well and cook covered in medium heat.

Goes with anything. Thanks to Live To Eat for a yummy recipe .



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi lan:

Thanks or stopping by my site.
Both the vermicelli and the chicken are great recipes. What courage to put 22 chillies into a dish!!!

Geeta

Reflections said...

22 Red Chillies???????

I mean we are also Spice Eaters but 22 of them....wow ur kids must be a brave lot:-O.

But the curry looks good mmmmm? and I have this question...not related to this recipe but related to chicken curries generally:
Whenever I make a CC with gravy I find the gravy vanishing after 2 hrs...its all absorbed.
Any solutions in ur Magic kit of Tips and Tricks???

lan said...

geeta and nancy
yes, i was worried but it wasn't too much at all. if i scale up exactly from the org recipe then it will be 30 chilis!

nancy
this does not happen as often for me but if it does what i would do is to add some water or milk and mix well and heat up in individual or smaller portions. this is even a good thing to have if you have leftovers as the curry will acquire more taste as it sits in the thick gravy and you can dilute it when ready to use.

Reflections said...

Thanks:-) for the tip