Monday, September 7, 2009

Easy, Breezy, Healthy Dessert



Ha! I had you there for a minute. Didn't I? I knew the 'healthy dessert' will get to you if the 'easy breezy' didn't:-) And true to my word, it is easy, breezy aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddd it is healthy. But only if you are a lover of banana like my Dad and honey like many in my family. Then we are in business. If not, why torture yourself? Just skip the post and go indulge yourself in a decadent sundae concoction since that is what you thought of when you heard 'dessert' anyway...

Every single day after a pleasant dinner, my Dad will wonder aloud at the table, "Do we have some small bananas around?" There always were a variety or two of the yummy little bananas at home and he was always a satisfied customer. I used to wonder at this habit and was not particularly fond of bananas after dinner. I do love them for other times as I have waxed high in previous posts. Don't worry. Although I feel some nostalgia trying to push through I'll keep a check on it today.

Needless to say I started to have the same craving as my Dad come dessert time. I think this goes hand in hand with the sweet tooth that I developed when having my babies. Anyway the lot fell to the omnipresent Chiquitas and once I hit on the art of slicing and eating them with a mouthful of honey, there was no looking back!

In the Mix

bananas - any variety will do. take as many as you want. 1/2 a banana is small fry if your spouse
is also a fan.
honey - enough to cover the bananas or to your tolerance

How To Do ( hey i am stickler to procedure and it does need some work:-))

Slice the bananas into little discs. Not too thin and not too thick. Gently pour the honey on top. Grab a fork. Find a comfy place to sit. Dig in!!


I think but not so sure that if you add some sugar or crystallized white sugar (kalkkand?) to this combo then it will become 'trimadhuram' or the tri-sweet 'prasadam' that you get in Hindu temples of course after going through the proper rites to make it so.

15 comments:

Reflections said...

Ummmm...will u get mad if I say I just dont like bananas in any form.

But I can give u another easy breezy recipe to make up for it..

Blend banana, sugar, half tsp coffee pwdr & milk together for an instant energy drink.
Even people who cant stand bananas will tend to like it;-P

Reflections said...

just noticed, there's a typo in the title.

lan said...

u banana hater you!
ok since u pointed out the type i'll forgive you. thanks and i have corrected it. your energy drink sounds fun. i suspect my smoothie chocolate loving kids will love it...

Samvedna said...

I love bananas..complete food in itself and so hygieninc to eat anywhere you want:)

lan said...

I couldn't agree more Antarman!
Now if only we could convert Nancy above... Thanks for the visit and the comment.

Samvedna said...

I really wonder how anyone couldnt like it:)

Reflections said...

Oh there's a story behind it...read it at ur own risk...coz u may not look at bananas very kindly after this;-D

A very small girl ate a banana just before leaving home to go on a journey. The bus was very crowded[imagine a crowded govt bus in India], the child felt claustrophobic & puked all tht banana out but had to wait another 30 mins to get out of the bus & wash her mouth. Till then that putrid banana+pukey aftertaste lingered in her mouth.
Yuk I still feel vaguely sick when I think abt it;-/

Hehe by now u guys must be kicking urselves for asking me;-D

Samvedna said...

Now I can understand :)

lan said...

oh my goodness! and now we know... i for one could have lived without this particular piece of info. nancy imagine a nice pinch on those ears because that will be well deserved for dumping this on unsuspecting people. ok i can see why you hate this all rounder fruit now. just wish the cost for knowing wasn't so high:-)))

Geeta Kakade said...

My kind of dessert.
I have posted an answer to your question re. dahi vades now...sorry for the delay...I was away and just got back.

lan said...

geeta, got the answer. thanks!

Geeta said...

Hey lan:

Look at my blog and help with the High Tea okay? I need some easy suggestions quick.

Thanks

Geeta said...

lan:
Could you elaborate on the banana fries that can be made a day ahead.
Thanks for all the help and the link you sent.

Reflections said...

Come on Lan...its been 2 months. There's no excuse for this...and dont tell me u r busy.....vayanasaala clearly states tht u've been spending all the free time reading books;-/

lan said...

nancy you caught me. but really it is not that i am not cooking but i love the ones i blogged about and keep making them over and over again. will update when i make something new. thanks for checking in..