Sunday, November 8, 2009

Roasted Chicken Legs - from Mishmash





Mishmash's is another blog I appreciate for its presentation and nostalgic write ups. So when I had some chicken legs and wasn't sure what to do, I decided to try this out from there. It turned out well and I have made it many times since then. The pics are from one of those time. I was waiting to take a better picture but looks like this is as far as my clicking abilities can go with night light. Not that it is any better with day light but the excuse sounds good. Right? It is all Nancy's fault really as she thinks I am not cooking!! Kidding aside she keeps this blog going at times when I find it difficult to come back to it.

I am adding the recipe here for future reference. (My kids might want to make it?) I hope so. It is mostly verbatim from Mishmash.

In The Mix

chicken legs/drumsticks - 14-16 or as many as that comes in a pack. (multiply or divide from
mishsmash's ingredients based on quantity) medium cut chicken
breast pieces also come out very well and are more suited for
our everyday cooking needs.

for the marinade
chili powder - 2 1/2 tbsp (the kids like it less hot)
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
garam masala - 3 tsp ( I use the homemade version from my Hmom. an easy version
is equal amounts of cardamom, cinnamon, clove powders)
freshly ground black pepper - 1 1/2 tsp
ginger - 2" piece
garlic - 8 to 10 cloves
lemon juice - 5 tsp fresh squeezed
salt to taste

to fry
curry leaves - 2-3 sprigs or as many as you want
olive oil - enough for half the height of the pieces to be submerged depending
on the size and shape of the pieces and the pan.

to saute

big red onion - 3 -4, thinly sliced
green chilies - 6-7, sliced once or twice at an angle
curry leaves - 2 sprigs
leftover marinade from the chicken. (neat idea!)
salt to taste


How To Do
Wash the chicken well and score it once or twice for the marinade to get inside. I don't pat dry anymore and like the resulting extra marinade. Crush and finely chop the ginger and garlic. I stopped using the pastes as I never had a good experience with the store bought version and I am not one to make that at home. The crushed chopped version seems to substitute very well. Marinate chicken overnight with the marinade ingredients as above.


Heat oil in a pan and fry curry leaves till crispy. Set aside. Place chicken pieces in oil and fry each side 2-3 minutes or until done on low to medium heat. Drumsticks will appear fried with shorter time but the insides might have red which simply isn't yum. Keep the leftover marinade for the next step.

Remove the fried chicken and drain on paper towels. We start the tasting process at this stage:-)) Remove some of the excess oil and add onion, chili and saute well. Add the marinade and curry leaves and saute till all blends well and appears cohesive. Remember to wash the marinade dish with a little warm water to increase the amount of marinade to add.

Now add the chicken pieces and mix everything together gently so as not to break the pieces. I also add the fried curry leaves at this time. Make sure chicken pieces are covered in the masala, cover and cook for a few minutes so all the flavors join together.

Serve alone or with the temporarily crowned King:-) More on the King er.. Queen later. Thanks Mishmash for this surefire recipe.


3 comments:

Reflections said...

Wow this looks totally yummy...and sounds delicious:-)).

And nowhere did I say u r not cooking....just maybe sorta prodded u a bit for not taking the trouble to post;-P

lan said...

thanks! it is rather easy to make after you make it once. this post is the sole result of your prodding and i am glad u did it!

Geeta said...

Mouthwateringly good.
Sure we can't be neighbors in the future? I would benefit.
The High Tea is done.
Thanks for all the support.